We love Easter feasts! It's the perfect family holiday to get together and create a beautiful, delicious meal together.You can deliver a showstopping lunch without spending hours in the kitchen, dicing, chopping and stirring. Here are a few of our favourite recipes:
Blue Cheese & Citrus Salad
Brought to you by Checkers, we love this recipe's combonation of refreshing citrus and creamy blue cheese. The colours are also very beautiful and will look super pretty on your lunch table!
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
2. Gently toast the walnuts for 5 min. or until slightly oily and deepened in flavour.
3. Allow cooling.
4. Blanch the mangetout in boiled water until electric green in colour, then immediately submerge in iced water to stop the cooking process. This helps to retain the lovely colour and crunchy texture.
5. To assemble the salad, combine the orange slices, rocket leaves, mangetout and walnuts.
6. Season, toss with olive oil and lemon juice and top the salad with crumbled blue cheese.
Rack of Lamb with Homemade Fruit Chutney
We really LOVE this Lamb Roast that we found on Woolworths' Easter Recipe page. Find that recipe right here > Woolworths Roast Lamb and enjoy the video that's easy to follow along in the kitchen!
The Ultimate Whole Chicken Roast
Checkers says that the secret to The Ultimate Whole Chicken Roast recipe is to cook it at 200 °C for 20 minutes per 500 g plus another 20 minutes for resting. Are you going to try this recipe this Easter?
For the Butter Rub:
1. Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
2. Season the room temperature butter with black pepper, salt and parsley and use a fork to combine the ingredients.
3. Then pull the skin away from the chicken breasts and add the butter mixture underneath the skin, on top of the breasts. This will baste the meat while it cooks to ensure a succulent and flavourful end result.
4. Mix together coriander, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, olive oil and mustard, then rub all over the chicken.
5 Place the chicken into a roasting dish and cook breast side down for one hour, then turn the chicken over and cook for another 40 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven, tent with foil and leave to rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.
Hot Cross Bun and Butter Pudding
On the hunt for a new dessert to serve this Easter? We love the twist to a firm, South African favourite. We'd definitely serve it with a drizzle of speckled eggs for even more colour and cheer!
1. Lightly grease a 20 cm ovenproof serving dish with a little melted butter.
2. Butter the hot cross bun slices and arrange tightly in the serving dish, allowing each slice to overlap.
3. Place the marshmallow eggs in-between a couple of slices.
4. Place eggs, cream, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and castor sugar into a bowl and whisk until combined.
5. Carefully pour cream mixture over the hot cross bun slices and cover the entire dish in foil.
6. Place the dish onto a wire rack in your pressure cooker and carefully fill with water until it reaches halfway up the sides of the dish.
7. Allow to cook for 30 minutes.
8. Once done, release the pressure valve and carefully remove the hot pudding from the cooker.
9. Serve warm with extra Easter eggs for garnish and either some custard or ice cream for a little extra indulgence.
Wishing all our patrons, guests and shoppers a hopping-good Easter. May it be filled with love, celebration and togetherness; not to mention delicious food! Shop all your favourite recipe ingredients at our Checkers and Woolworths Food!